Been doing this for 15yrs....Part 2
the year was 1995 and I was jobless for a couple of months, I remember it was the year that my mom, Kak E & Abg B went for Hajj. During their 40-42 days absence, I was already without a job and feeling restless sitting at home doing nothing.
I went out alot of times with my then friend, Diana (I dunno where she is right now, simply lost touch eversince 2000ish) and I remember going to the east coast to just laze around.
I was also busy writing resumes to alot of openings (at that time the economic was doing very good and there's lots of job openings in the papers). I told myself that I am not going back to the exh & conferences industry, I had enough of experiencing the pressure and the long hours and the burnt weekends......but I end up still within the industry.
AIC Conf - they were looking for a Marketing Coordinator. I fit the bill perfectly (the job description & the required experiences) and my pay was actually doubled then what I was getting. So I guess the pay was the pull factor and I was telling myself to just give the industry another try, at least for a year or maybe less, depending on how long I can tahan.
I had quite a culture shock the moment I enter my new job. While my previous job in a local organisation and due to that it has a close-knit camaraderie feeling and everybody there is warmed and very approachable. In this new company of mine I felt very"small" not because I am a rookie, but because of the "air of competiveness" that I could feel buzzing around. Its an Australian company, and everybody there is a graduate (all of them went to unis, nearly all of them hold a Master deg) and I am the most lowest educated employee there!!!! Seriously!! Even the so called "receptionist" is a Uni graduate. The company produces their own conferences' topics in Telecom/IT and O&G/Infrastructure. Thats the reason for the competiveness amongst the Conference Producers.
I have to say I learned to be the most humble person there amongst those high achievers, **LOL** humbler than the cleaning lady there!!! I am the only coordinator there while the rest are all MANAGERS. I suffer from the lowest point of self-esteem in the history of my life!!!! LOL
Anyways, I quit after my 8th month there and decide to chill for a while (its hard work being at my lowest point).......I don't have many good memories there and I never got to work with so many FEMALE managers before!! And I think all of them got their PMS at the same time too!!!
I when jobless for a coupla months again till I opened the newspaper one saturday morning and came across job openings in my current position. Which fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on my mood of the day) is the most long running job I ever held EVER!!!
Next year be my 10th year!!!! OHMIGOD!!!
I went out alot of times with my then friend, Diana (I dunno where she is right now, simply lost touch eversince 2000ish) and I remember going to the east coast to just laze around.
I was also busy writing resumes to alot of openings (at that time the economic was doing very good and there's lots of job openings in the papers). I told myself that I am not going back to the exh & conferences industry, I had enough of experiencing the pressure and the long hours and the burnt weekends......but I end up still within the industry.
AIC Conf - they were looking for a Marketing Coordinator. I fit the bill perfectly (the job description & the required experiences) and my pay was actually doubled then what I was getting. So I guess the pay was the pull factor and I was telling myself to just give the industry another try, at least for a year or maybe less, depending on how long I can tahan.
I had quite a culture shock the moment I enter my new job. While my previous job in a local organisation and due to that it has a close-knit camaraderie feeling and everybody there is warmed and very approachable. In this new company of mine I felt very"small" not because I am a rookie, but because of the "air of competiveness" that I could feel buzzing around. Its an Australian company, and everybody there is a graduate (all of them went to unis, nearly all of them hold a Master deg) and I am the most lowest educated employee there!!!! Seriously!! Even the so called "receptionist" is a Uni graduate. The company produces their own conferences' topics in Telecom/IT and O&G/Infrastructure. Thats the reason for the competiveness amongst the Conference Producers.
I have to say I learned to be the most humble person there amongst those high achievers, **LOL** humbler than the cleaning lady there!!! I am the only coordinator there while the rest are all MANAGERS. I suffer from the lowest point of self-esteem in the history of my life!!!! LOL
Anyways, I quit after my 8th month there and decide to chill for a while (its hard work being at my lowest point).......I don't have many good memories there and I never got to work with so many FEMALE managers before!! And I think all of them got their PMS at the same time too!!!
I when jobless for a coupla months again till I opened the newspaper one saturday morning and came across job openings in my current position. Which fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on my mood of the day) is the most long running job I ever held EVER!!!
Next year be my 10th year!!!! OHMIGOD!!!
Comments